For toddlers, the world is their classroom and curiosity is the key to learning. You can encourage your child’s early numeracy skills by helping to teach them to count through fun activities that stimulate the brain and entertain. Here are some tips from our child care centre near Parkmore.
- Make it part of the conversation: For example, if your child is helping you bake or decorate cookies, show them how to count out one for each person in the family. You can also ask them to show you how to make sure everyone has the same amount of snacks or help count out the cutlery while you set the table.
- Use your hands: Visual cues are the best way to start off learning about numbers, and counting out fingers is a great tool for helping your child learn these essential skills. It helps them track each number in their mind as well as assisting with very basic addition and subtraction.
- Incorporate it into other activities: Numbers by themselves may not be very enticing to your child, but you can incorporate basic numeracy and math into games they love to play. If your child loves cars and trucks, number them with fun stickers and create matching “car garages” out of old shoe boxes. Old telephones with number pads are also fun to play with, and your child can help call for pizza or phone granny using number that she remembers and can write down in a phone book.
- Make it relate to them: Numbers are more easily understood by children when they relate to them. Age and even height are great topics, so ask your child how old he was last year and how old he will be this year to get them thinking about numbers.
A safe, fun child care centre near Parkmore
At Doodlebugs Play School and Day Care Centre, we offer a safe, loving day care and nursery school environment in Sandton for your baby or children from 18 months to 4 years old. Fully supervised by our qualified, loving staff, our professional child care ensures that your little one will have fun, learn and explore the world while giving you complete peace of mind – you can see for yourself right here! To find out more about our daily routine or to visit our nursery school, please don’t hesitate to contact us for more information.
Reading is a wonderful activity for encouraging language development and bonding with your child. If you enjoy ending your child’s day with a bedtime story and inspiring in them a love of reading, here are some great recommendations from our play school near Craighall.
- Giraffes Can’t Dance – by Giles Andreae: This book teaches children all about accepting differences in each other and in themselves, and trying to fit in. It shows them through a delightful story that they will always find a place to belong in the world.
- National Geographic Little Kids First Big Book of Why – by Amy Shields: From around 2 years old, every child’s favourite word is “why?” and they’re just bursting with curiosity about the world around them. This book answer simple questions in easy to understand terms that young children will understand. Filled with great pictures, this book is pure, fun-filled learning.
- The Monster at the end of this Book – by Jon Stone: Fun to read with a fantastic punchline at the end, this book is a great experience for kids as well as adults who grew up with the Muppets!
- I Lost My Tooth in Africa – by Penda Diakite and Baba Wague Diakite: This is a lovely story about a little girl who loses her tooth in Mali while on holiday and the surprising thing the tooth fairy brings her! This is great for young children of 3 and above.
- ChickaChicka Boom Boom – by Bill Martin Jr and John Archambault: With great rhymes and funny jokes, this book is all about learning the alphabet. Perfect for toddlers who want to sing along, this book makes early childhood development fun.
These are just some of the wonderful books out there for toddlers and young children, so be sure to check out your local book stores and second hand book stores for more great bedtime story choices.
Our play school near Craighall brings out the best in your little one
At Doodlebugs Play School and Day Care Centre, we know that this is a critical time of learning and development for your little one and we aim to support it through a holistic curriculum that teaches through fun, safe and age-appropriate activities. With plenty of peers to play with, extensively trained staff members to oversee all activities and a fun, childproof environment, we’re looking forward to bringing out the best in your child.
Gingerbread people are fun and easy to make, and even more delicious to eat! Here’s a great recipe from Jamie Oliver and our child care centre near Parkmore that will ensure hours of fun for your child as well as plenty of lunchbox treats.
300g of plain flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
125 g unsalted butter
100 g soft light brown sugar
3 tablespoons golden syrup
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Melt butter, sugar and syrup over low heat, stirring until all the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the dry ingredients, stirring to make a stiff dough.
- Cut the dough into two equal halves and place each half on the work surface on top of baking paper, rolling out until it’s about 5mm thick.
- Cut out your different shapes in the dough with about 2cm between each cut out. Lift the excess dough out, leaving the shapes on the paper. You can repeat this step with more baking paper to make more people.
- Lift the paper with the figures directly onto your baking trays and bake for 12 mins or until golden brown.
- Once cooled, they can be decorated by you and your kids. Using icing, stick on Smarties, Jelly Tots and other goodies to make them a creative and fun treat!
Looking for a child care facility near Parkmore? Visit our loving play school today!
At Doodlebugs Play School, we offer a safe, educational day care and crèche environment near Hurlingham for your baby or children from 18 months to 4 years old. Fully supervised by our qualified, loving staff, our professional child care ensures that your little one will have fun, learn and explore the world while giving you complete peace of mind. Please don’t hesitate to contact us for more information.
Whether it’s the weekend, school holidays or just a quiet afternoon, craft activities can be a great boredom-busting and bonding session for you and your kids! Here are some ideas from our nursery school near Hurlingham.
- Baking: Making gingerbread people, decorating cookies and cupcakes or making coconut ice is a crafting activity that’s fun and delicious as well as teaching your child a few useful life skills in the kitchen. It’s best to set up a table filled with icing and decorations to keep your kids busy while you manage the hot oven, but try get them involved in as many stages as you can – from fetching ingredients and helping to stir the bowl to licking off the spoon, of course!
- A work of art: This combines two of every toddler’s favourite things – bright colours and making a mess! Get a big roll of butcher’s paper and put it on the ground. Mix up edible paints using plain yogurt and food colouring, and let them run wild. Encourage them to try different colours and shapes to bring in some creativity. You can also put the paint in a squeeze bottle for easier use.
- Potato stamps: If you’re feeling creative, potato stamps are a cheap and fun way to help your kids express their creative side. They’re easy to make and you can make all sorts of fun shapes like hearts, stars, fish, leaves and smiley faces. Separate paints into different colours in separate trays (a good use for polystyrene trays) and lay out sheets of paper – then let the stamping begin!
Playtime meets learning at our safe, fully supervised nursery school near Hurlingham
At Doodlebugs Play School, we offer a safe, educational play school, nursery school and day care environment near Hurlingham for your baby or children from 18 months to 4 years old. Fully supervised by our qualified, loving staff, our professional child care centre ensures that your little one will have fun, learn and explore the world while giving you complete peace of mind. Please don’t hesitate to contact us for more information.
Not sure how involved you should be with your child’s nursery school? Wondering if you should step back or jump right in? At Doodlebugs nursery school near Parkmore, we encourage parents to really participate in this stage of your child’s life – and here’s why:
Developmental milestones are a way of measuring your baby’s progress as he or she grows through this important time. While they don’t follow a very strict timeline, each baby has their own pace, they are a great way to track and encourage healthy development as your child progresses from day care to playschool and nursery school. To encourage this there are many fun activities you can do with your child. (more…)